Germanwatch is a development and environment organization that actively engages in international political and economic discussions. The situation of marginalized people forms the starting point for our engagement for sustainable development.
Germanwatch advocates for the provision of predictable climate finance that takes into account the needs of developing countries and the most vulnerable. The UN climate funds, including the GCF and the Adaptation Fund, constitute important multilateral instruments in the provision of climate finance. As the GCF is entering a critical phase with many projects entering implementation, Germanwatch is supporting CSOs in developing countries, in particular Africa, to strengthen their long-term capacity in participating in national dialogues, advocating for ambitious project proposals and increasing accountability and transparency through participatory monitoring and evaluation. This should ultimately enable GCF projects and programs to unfold their transformative effect.
To complement our International Climate Policy Team we are looking for a
Professional with the following profile:
- Understanding of the international climate regime, especially the UNFCCC processes and different finance institutions, in particular the Green Climate Fund (GCF).
- Competence and work experience in the area of climate change action in developing countries. Experience working with finance institutions is considered a strong asset.
- Proven intercultural competence and experience in working with/in developing countries, preferably Africa, and a profound understanding of vulnerable people's needs and circumstances.
- High motivation to work in an NGO environment.
- Fluency in English. Excellent oral and written French skills are a strong advantage. At minimum, basic command of German language or willingness to learn is desired.
Your tasks will initially include contributions to:
- Cooperate, coordinate with and capacitate NGO partners in developing countries, in particular in Africa, to effectively engage with GCF activities on a domestic and international level.
- Formulate and present policy suggestions to improve climate finance architecture from the perspective of vulnerable people.
- Prepare communication materials (including short papers and briefings, newsletter, blog posts, social media).
- Engage in international NGO networks on the international climate finance architecture, in particular the GCF.
- Manage multi-year project with international NGO partners.
The post will be based in either Bonn or Berlin, Germany, and will require national and international travel. Note that due to the current pandemic, the home office would be the prevailing workspace in the beginning. Germanwatch will support securing visa and work permit. The position comes with German benefits scheme, including health insurance.
We strive for equal representation of all social and cultural groups among our employees. We, therefore, explicitly welcome applications from people with migratory backgrounds and people with disabilities. We offer high flexibility with regard to working hours and workplace and provide technical support as needed.
Application documents (including the below mentioned applicant’s form) should be sent no later than August 3rd to: Dr. Gerold Kier, Administrative Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. The applicant’s form may be downloaded on this site. In case of problems with downloading this form, please contact Ms. Andrea Taubert (email@example.com) for assistance. The applicant’s form is the central document of your application, necessary for it to be valid. It also contains further information on the application process.
First round of virtual interviews: August 10th.
Second round (with a selection of applicants from round 1): August 24th.