Our core objectives and activities
In principle, the prudent use of antibiotics must be constantly promoted and monitored. Incorrect or abusive use of antibiotics must be counteracted and prevented. With regard to industrial livestock production, we focus on the following objectives:
- Antibiotics classified by the WHO as " highest priority critically important antimicrobials" (HP CIA) must be excluded from use in industrial livestock production.
- Reduction of the general use of antibiotics in livestock production, in particular through significantly improved approaches and measures in the area of animal breeding and husbandry. Existing husbandry systems must be redesigned, especially with regard to animal health. This will also include on-farm as well as general livestock reduction.
- Effective implementation of the EU Regulation 2019/6 on veterinary medicinal products and national antibiotic resistance strategies, especially with regard to antibiotics of last resort, including sufficient and transparent monitoring and controlling systems.
- Strict and effective implementation of at least the target of the Farm to Fork Strategy to reduce European antibiotic use in animal husbandry by 50 % by 2030.
To achieve these goals, we at Germanwatch focus on the following activities:
- We prepare information in the form of articles, lectures, (press) releases and background papers.
- We raise public awareness on the issue of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) from animal husbandry.
- We monitor political processes around the topic, identify and work on important leverage points to minimise the use of antibiotics in animal husbandry and to preserve the efficacy of the most important antibiotics for humans.
- We are building an action-oriented Europe-wide network on the topic, promoting interdisciplinary exchange and cooperation between organisations from a wide range of fields, including human medicine, veterinary medicine, environmental protection and development cooperation.
- We examine legal options to promote protection against antibiotic resistance and uncover health risks from industrial animal husbandry through research and laboratory testing.
What can you do?
Stay informed and subscribe to our newsletter. In addition to many other Germanwatch topics, we will keep you up to date on our antibiotics work.
Talk to others about the topic "Antibiotics in industrial livestock production" and help to create more awareness for it.
Support us in our daily work against the threat of antimicrobial resistance from animal husbandry with a donation. Even (regular) small amounts help us to keep putting the issue on the political agenda.
Together we can bring about a change in the use of antibiotics and, not least, initiate major changes in animal breeding and husbandry.